Click Here For PDF File
Around The League
-Shattered: FDU’s Sarah Willey broke the Knight’s career assist record this weekend, see Wiley’s post game reaction here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28h1NCPvWu0&feature=channel_video_title
-400 Club: Bryant head coach Theresa Garlacy earned her 400th-career win over the weekend as the Bulldog’s notched a 3-1 victory over CCSU on Sunday.
-Dig Pink: Saint Francis (PA) will host Robert Morris this weekend in the school’s annual “Dig Pink” match.
-One More Time: CCSU’s match versus Hartford on Wednesday will represent the final non-conference game for any league team this season. The schools of the NEC have gone a collective 53-82 against non-league opponents this year.
-View from the top: Long Island takes over the top spot this week after defeating Sacred Heart in a 3-2 thriller on Sunday.
-Saintly Affair: Saint Francis (PA) and St. Francis (NY) will take on each other this Saturday, representing the final time in the regular season the two schools of similar name will match-up.
-“Play-off’s? You want to talk about Play-offs?” This weekend will have major implications for this year’s NEC tournament. Stay turned to twitter and the league’s website to see who will clinch a play-off berth in the coming days.
- League Leaders- For the most up to date information on the goings on in the NEC, be sure to check out our website: www.northeastconference.org
Bryant (11-16, 5-6 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 19 at Providence L 3-1, Oct. 22 at St. Francis W 3-1 (NY), Oct. 23 vs. Central Connecticut W 3-1
This Week: Oct. 30 at Quinnipiac
- Senior and Molten/NEC Defender of the Week Maria Scocca (Melrose, Mass./Arlington Catholic) led the Bulldogs in kills and blocks on the week with 41 and 19, respectively and also recorded the match high in blocks in both NEC matchups on the week, putting up seven stuffs against both the Terriers and the Blue Devils. She needs just 17 more blocks to become the all-time program leader.
- Head coach Theresa Garlacy earned her 400th-career win Sunday with a 3-1 topping of CCSU at home. The win also marked the program’s first victory over the Blue Devils and also completed the program’s first Northeast Conference weekend sweep since joining the league after beating St. Francis (NY) on the road Saturday, 3-1. Garlacy is in her 16th season as the Bulldogs’ head coach.
- The Bulldogs saw sophomore Mikayla LaRosa (Marysville, WA/Marysvill-Pilchuck) take over libero duties and stand strong defensively, collecting a team-high 29 digs in eight sets, including a match-high 17 at St. Francis (NY) Saturday. Rookie Jocelyn Taylor (Marlborough, CT/RHAM) also saw her first real action of the season, playing in four sets and earning the start against CCSU Sunday.
- Senior Jazmin Stoner (Durango, CO/Durango) recorded 27 kills on the week with 27 digs, including posting a match-best 14 kills on the road at St. Francis (NY) Saturday afternoon.
- Junior Emily Kaup (Chandler, AZ/Corona del Sol) posted 12 blocks to compliment 16 kills
Central Connecticut (14-9, 6-4 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 22 at Sacred Heart L 3-1; Oct. 23 at Bryant L 3-1
This Week: Oct. 26 vs. Hartford; Oct. 29 at Fairleigh Dickinson; Oct. 30 at Quinnipiac
- The Blue Devils next game is Saturday at Fairleigh Dickinson, that game could be for playoff position as both teams could enter the match at 6-4. The Blue Devils have already defeated FDU twice this season.
- Senior Danielle Gasser (New Milford, CT/New Milford) is averaging 10.51 assists per game this season. She has 894 on the season and ranks second in the league in assist.
- Freshman Brittany Schumacher (Hartford, WI/Hartford Union) averaged 4.5 digs per games this weekend she is now averaging 4.31 per set on the season.
Fairleigh Dickinson (15-8, 5-4 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 22 vs. Robert Morris L 3-0, Oct. 23 at Saint Francis (PA) W 3-2
This Week: Oct. 26 vs. Long Island; Oct. 29 vs. Central Connecticut; Oct. 30 vs. Sacred Heart
-Senior Sarah Willey (Abingdon, MD/Bel Air) broke the program record for career assists in the first set of FDU’s win over Saint Francis PA. She now has 3,216 in her career, surpassing Ruth Levy’s mark of 3,185.
-The Knights defeated the Saint Francis PA Red Flash for the second time this season on Sunday, picking up a 3-2 victory at Stratis Arena in Hackensack, NJ.
- FDU had three players with double-doubles against SFPA in Willey with 41 assists and 17 digs, junior Meaghan Wheeler (Chatsworth, CA/Chaminade College Prep) with 25 kills and 11 digs, and sophomore Taylor Roland-Buohl (Lancaster, PA/ Lampeter-Strasburg) with 12 digs and 11 assists.
-Wheeler currently leads the league in kills per game as she averaged 4.80.
Long Island (14-11, 8-1 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 22 vs. Quinnipiac W 3-0, Oct. 23 vs. Sacred Heart W 3-2
This Week: Oct. 26 at Fairleigh Dickinson; Oct. 29 at Robert Morris; Oct. 30 at Saint Francis (PA)
-Long Island went 2-0 on the week to catapult into first place in the Northeast Conference. The Blackbirds earned a home sweep of Quinnipiac on Oct. 22 before gutting out a five-set win over then first-place Sacred Heart on Oct. 23.
-Freshman setter and Molten/NEC Rookie of the Week Vera Djuric (Lazarevac, Serbia/Svetozar Markovic) recorded a pair of double-doubles for Long Island, giving her six for the season. Djuric dished out 37 assists and led all players with 17 digs against the Bobcats before tallying 46 assists and 14 digs against the Pioneers. The freshman finished the week with a team-best 3.88 digs per set.
-Sophomore and Molten/NEC Player of the Week Hanna Gibeau (Arvada, Colo./Ralston Valley) continued her strong play, averaging a team-high 4.25 kills per set for the week.
Quinnipiac (4-19, 3-7 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 22 at Long Island L 3-0, Oct. 23 at St. Francis (NY) W 3-0
This Week: Oct. 29 vs. Bryant; Oct. 30 vs. Central Connecticut
- Against the Terriers, QU surpassed the 40-plus kills mark for the fifth time this season and attacked at a .241 clip, the highest percentage of the campaign.
- Tierra Allen (Sumter, SC/Wellesley, MA/Crestwood SC) collected two digs and two blocks to go along with her 11 kills in the match.
- Kayla Lawler (Louisville, KY/Centerville) dished out 39 assists and Tracy Wright (Fair Lawn, NJ) anchored the back row with 13 digs.
- Against the Blackbirds, Brittanie Robinson put together another quality start for the Bobcats, as the freshman hammered a team-high 10 kills on 24 attempts for a .333 attacking percentage. Grattan, Kelby Carey (Surfside, CA/Los Alamitos) and Allen each chimed in with six kills, as the team combined for 31 of them in the match. Wright fared well on the back row with 18 digs and Lawler conducted the offense with 23 assists. Grattan also added three blocks on the afternoon.
Robert Morris (12-12, 7-2 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 22 at Fairleigh Dickinson W 3-0
This Week: Oct. 26 at St. Francis (PA); Oct. 29 vs. Long Island; Oct. 30 vs. St. Francis (NY)
- Robert Morris, which has won nine of 11 overall, swept Fairleigh Dickinson on the road Saturday in its lone match of the week to extend its road winning streak to six matches, the longest such stretch for RMU since 2002. The Colonials have also won nine consecutive NEC road matches.
- Junior Lindsey Monger (Rising Sun, MD/Rising Sun) tallied her eighth double-double in the past nine matches with a team-high 11 kills and 10 digs Saturday. Monger's 13th double-double of the season also allowed her to capture her 11th straight match with double-figure digs.
- RMU hit over .300 as a team for the third time this season in its victory over the Knights.
- Senior captain Hannah Veith (Columbus, OH / Worthington) hit .455 and added a match-best six blocks against Fairleigh Dickinson. Veith has now hit at least .400 in nine of her past 11 matches and has posted six or more rejections in six of the last 14 matches.
- Freshman Hannah Hoffman (Parker, CO / Ponderosa) organized the efficient Colonial attack Saturday and barely missed her second straight double-double. Hoffman tallied 27 assists and nine digs while registering three blocks and a trio of kills on seven attempts without a hitting error.
Sacred Heart (18-7, 8-2 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 22 at Central Connecticut W 3-1; Oct. 23 at Long Island L 3-2
This Week: Oct. 30 at Fairleigh Dickinson
- Kimmee Roleder (Pasadena, CA/Pasadena) posted a double-double in both of the Pioneers matches this weekend and averaged 3.67 kills per set.
- Elise Sage (Greenwood Village, CO/Cherry Hill) had her two best matches of the season, ripping double-digit kills in both matches while recording a combined hitting percentage of .465.
- Alisa Mesa (Long Beach, CA/Long Beach Polytechnic) dished out 100 assists on the weekend, including a career best 55 against Long Island.
- The SHU middles, Sage and Johanna Ovsenek (London, Ontario/Saunders Secondary) combined for 28 kills and a .438 swinging mark versus CCSU.
- The Pioneers have hit .200 or better in nine straight matches.
- Jessica Colberg (Long Beach, CA/Long Beach Polytechnic) tallied 38 digs for the weekend, 4.22 per set.
- SHU continues to serve extremely tough, racking up 18 service aces (2.00 per set) in its tilts with the Blackbirds and the Blue Devils.
St. Francis (NY) (1-26, 0-11 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 22 at Bryant L 3-1, Oct. 23 at Quinnipiac L 3-0
This Week: Oct. 29 at Saint Francis (PA); Oct. 30 at Robert Morris
- Junior outside hitter Marina Georgieva (Sofia, Bulgaria/ Suchern Ivan Vazov) recorded a double-double of 12 kills and 13 digs vs. Bryant and then added a match-high 18 kills against Quinnipiac.
- Junior Naomi Flinders (Provo, UT/Provo) also recorded a double-double of 10 kills and 11 digs against Bryant.
- Freshman middle Jillian Tracy (Sparta, NJ/Sparta) played her finest match of the season as she recorded nine kills and added a team-high five blocks against Bryant.
- Sophomore setter Kamalai Clifton (Yuba City, CA/Sutter Union) averaged 10.7 assists per game for the week.
- Freshman outside hitter Ali Long (Sacramento, CA/Rosemont) recorded a season-high 10 kills against Quinnipiac.
Saint Francis (PA) (7-17, 2-7 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 23 at Fairleigh Dickinson L 2-3
This Week: Oct. 26 vs. Robert Morris; Oct. 29 vs. St. Francis (NY); Oct. 30 vs. Long Island
-Sophomore Breanna Kochinsky (Nicktown, PA/Northern Cambria) produced her fourth double-double of the season Sunday at FDU. Her team-best 17 kills is also a new season-high and her 17 digs give her six consecutive matches in double digit dig figures.
-The Red Flash picked up 84 total digs against the Knights, a team season-high.
- Saint Francis hosts Robert Morris this Wednesday night at DeGol Arena for its annual Dig Pink match at 7 p.m.