Click Here for PDF
Around the League
-Setting the Table- With two weekends of competition left in the regular season the play-off field is starting to shake out, but only time will tell who is in.
-Winner, Winner Colonial Dinner- Robert Morris’ victory over the Terriers Sunday guaranteed the Colonials a winning NEC record for the 13th-conescutive season, extending its own league record.
-Sweeping Away the Competition- Long Island had a player awarded or co-awarded in each of this week’s Player of the Week honors.
- League Leaders-
For the most up to date information on the goings on in the NEC, be sure to check out our website: www.northeastconferece.org
Bryant (12-16, 6-6 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 30 at Quinnipiac W 3-0
This Week: Nov. 5 vs. Robert Morris, Nov. 6 vs. Saint Francis (PA)
- Senior Maria Scocca (Melrose, MA/Arlington Catholic) posted a match-high 13 kills and tied a match best four blocks in Bryant’s 3-0 win over Quinnipiac in the team’s only contest of the week.
- The number marked her third-straight match-high kill total, she also needs just 13 more blocks to set the career record.
-The Bulldogs earned their third-straight win with a 3-0 road victory against the Bobcats Saturday, tying their longest winning streak of the season.
-Mariah Burgess (Urbana, IL/Urbana) also recorded four blocks on the outing.
-Junior setter Jadith Lorenzo (Lawrence, MA/Lawrence International) put up number of match highs, including assists (21) and aces (2) while adding eight digs and a .800 attack percentage with four kills on just five attack attempts.
Central Connecticut (17-9, 8-4 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 26 vs. Hartford W 3-1; Oct. 29 at Fairleigh Dickinson W 3-1; Oct. 30 at Quinnipiac W 3-2
This Week: Nov. 5 vs. Saint Francis (PA), Nov. 6 vs. Robert Morris
- Senior Danielle Gasser (New Milford, CT/New Milford) had 1,040 assists this season. She has averaged 10.51 assists per set on the season.
- Junior and Molten/NEC Player of the Week Emily Cochran (Adel, IA/Adel-DeSoto-Minburn) posted the biggest game of the year for a Blue Devil she recorded 27 kills and 20 digs in the victory over Quinnipiac.
-Brittney Schumacher (Hartford, WI/Hartford Union) earned Molten/NEC Defender of the Week honors.
- Central hosts Robert Morris and St. Francis (PA) this weekend in the final home games of the regular season for the Blue Devils. The Blue Devils have an impressive 9-2 record at home this season.
- Coach Linda Sagnelli sits just three wins shy of 200 for her Blue Devil Career. She already has the most wins in CCSU volleyball history with 197 wins.
Fairleigh Dickinson (15-11, 5-7 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 26 vs. Long Island L 3-0; Oct. 29 vs. Central Connecticut L 3-0; Oct. 30 vs. Sacred Heart L 3-0
This Week: Nov. 5 at Long Island, Nov. 6 at Quinnipiac
-The Fairleigh Dickinson Knights (15-11, 5-7) faced three of the top four teams in the NEC this week, falling to LIU, Sacred Heart and CCSU in their three matches.
- In the Knights’ match against Sacred Heart on Sunday, junior Meaghan Wheeler (Chatsworth, CA / Chaminade College Prep) moved into second place in school history for career kills with 1,280 for her career.
-Wheeler picked up two double-doubles this week with 11 kills and 13 digs versus Sacred Heart and 20 kills and 16 digs against CCSU.
-Senior Kelsey Semler (Allentown, PA/Allentown Central Catholic) currently leads the league with digs. She has totaled 463 on the season and averages 4.82 per game.
-Senior Sarah Berkland (Newton, MA/ Newton North) is one block assist for moving into a second-place tie on the school’s career list.
- Berkland now has 288 and is just five away from tying Lauren Boothby’s mark of 293 for the most in program history.
Long Island (17-11, 11-1 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 26 at Fairleigh Dickinson W 3-0; Oct. 29 at Robert Morris W 3-2; Oct. 30 at Saint Francis (PA) W 3-2
This Week: Nov. 5 vs. Fairleigh Dickinson, Nov. 6 at Sacred Heart
- Long Island won three road conference matches, sweeping Fairleigh Dickinson on Oct. 26 before defeating both Robert Morris (Oct. 29) and Saint Francis (Pa.) (Oct. 30) by 3-2 margins.
- Sophomore and Molten/NEC Player of the Week Hanna Gibeau (Arvada, CO/Ralston Valley) tallied a career-high 28 kills in the win at Robert Morris. Her previous best came last season when she had 26 kills at Fairleigh Dickinson on Nov. 10, 2010.
- Freshman and Molten/NEC Rookie of the Week Vera Djuric (Lazarevac, Serbia/Svetozar Markovic) recorded double-doubles in all three matches this week, running her season total to nine. She has reached double figures in a pair of categories in five straight matches.
-Jessica Rice (Marlton, NJ/Cherokee) notched Molten/NEC Defender of the Week honors after putting up 16 blocks in 3 matches.
- The Blackbirds have won six straight matches for the second time this season. Long Island has been victorious in 12 of its last 13 outings.
Quinnipiac (4-21, 3-9 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 29 vs. Bryant L 3-0; Oct. 30 vs. Central Connecticut L 3-2
This Week: Nov. 4 vs. Sacred Heart, Nov. 6 vs. Fairleigh Dickinson
- The Bobcats went 0-2 on the week, falling to Bryant, 3-0, and to Central Connecticut State, 3-2, at Burt Kahn Court in Hamden, Conn.
- On Dig Pink Day at Burt Kahn Court, unforced errors plagued the QU women's volleyball team, as the Bobcats dropped a home match to the Bulldogs, 3-0 (25-20, 25-14 and 25-15).
- Freshman Tierra Allen (Sumter, SC/Crestwood) led the offense with a team-high seven kills in the match.
- Junior Taylor Payne (Warwick/ Warwick Valley) and freshman Tanner Celestin (Norco, CA/Norco) each chimed in with five kills, as Payne also added four blocks on the afternoon. Senior Kelby Carey (Surfside, Calif.) and sophomore Tracy Wright (Fair Lawn, NJ/Fair Lawn) anchored the back row with 12 and 20 digs apiece, while senior Kayla Lawler (Louisville, KY/Centerville) dished out 21 assists.
- On Sunday in a 3-2 loss to CCSU Brittanie Robinson (Fresno, CA/Edison) chimed in with seven kills and seven digs. Carey added seven kills, Lawler dished out 40 assists and Wright tallied a match-high 30 digs.
Robert Morris (14-13, 9-3 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 26 at St. Francis (PA) W 3-2; Oct. 29 vs. Long Island L 3-2; Oct. 30 vs. St. Francis (NY) W 3-0
This Week: Nov. 5 at Bryant, Nov. 6 at Central Connecticut
- RMU hit .351 for the match Sunday, its third output of at least .350 this season, while holding the Terriers to a -.059 figure, marking its best differential in the hitting percentage category since 2004.
- Senior captain Hannah Veith (Columbus, OH/Worthington) became just the fourth Colonial in program history to reach the 400-block plateau for her career this past weekend and also moved within 10 kills of registering 1,000 for her career in that category.
- Freshman Regan Macomson (Hendersonville, NC/West Henderson) posted nine blocks in eight sets to average a team leading 1.12 blocks per game.
- Junior Lindsey Monger (Rising Sun, MD/Rising Sun) nailed a team-best 16 kills Saturday against league-leading Long Island and added 10 digs and a season-best six blocks to record her team-leading 14th double-double of the season, the most by a Colonial since 2004. Monger has also tallied double-figure digs in 15 consecutive matches, the longest such stretch at RMU since 2005.
- Robert Morris’ victory over in-state rival Saint Francis (Pa.) Wednesday was its 47th win in program history against the Red Flash, the most all-time against any of its opponents.
Sacred Heart (19-7, 9-2 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 30 at Fairleigh Dickinson W 3-0
This Week: Nov. 4 at Quinnipiac, Nov. 5 vs. St. Francis (NY), Nov. 6 vs. Long Island
- Dianis Mercado (Vega Baja, Puerto Rico/Colegio Marista), Johanna Ovsenek (London, Ontario/Saunders Secondary) and Kimmee Roleder (Pasadena, CA/Pasadena) all recorded a match high 11 kills in the Pioneers lone match of the week.
-Mercado also chipped in 14 digs to earn a double-double
- Alisa Mesa (Long Beach, CA/Long Beach Polytechnic) continued her superb rookie season by dishing out a match high 34 assists
versus Fairleigh Dickinson.
- Elise Sage (Greenwood Village, CO/Cherry Creek) finished with nine kills overall and a .471 hitting percentage against FDU
- Ovsenek racked up six kills on seven swings in the second set versus the Knights as Sacred Heart hit at a blistering .448 pace in the second set.
- Jessica Colberg (Long Beach, CA/Long Beach Polytechnic)
tallied 38 digs for the weekend, 4.22 per set
- Ashlyn Trimble(Temecula, CA/Temecula Valley) tallied a season high 12 digs and also notched a kill on her only attack.
- The Pioneers still control their own destiny in terms of hosting the NEC Tournament. SHU needs to win their final five league matches, including a victory over LIU in four sets or less, in order to bring the NEC Tournament to Fairfield, CT for the second straight season
St. Francis (NY) (1-28, 0-13 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 29 at Saint Francis (PA) L 3-1; Oct. 30 at Robert Morris L 3-0
This Week: Nov. 5 vs. Sacred Heart
- Junior outside hitter Marina Georgieva (Sofia, Bulgaria/ Suchern Ivan Vazov)
ranks 7th in the NEC in kills (3.09 pg)
- Sophomore setter Kamalai Clifton (Yuba City, CA/Sutter Union) ranks 10th in the league in assists (5.74 pg.)
- Sophomore libero Feliz Ramirez (San Antonio, TX/Antoman College Prep) is second in the conference in digs (4.46 pg.) and is seventh in service aces (0.34 pg.).
Saint Francis (PA) (8-19, 3-9 NEC)
Last Week: Oct. 26 vs. Robert Morris L 3-2; Oct. 29 vs. St. Francis (NY) W 3-1; Oct. 30 vs. Long Island L 3-2
This Week: Nov. 5 at Central Connecticut, Nov. 6 at Bryant
-Sophomore Breanna Kochinsky (Nicktown, PA/ Northern Cambria) produced her fifth and sixth double-doubles of the season against RMU and SFC. Her team-best 21 kills against the Colonials is also a new season-high and her 14 digs against the Terriers gave her eight consecutive matches in double digit dig figures, until coming one dig shy of continuing that against LIU.
-The 3-1 win over St. Francis (N.Y.) snapped a four-match losing streak for the Red Flash
- Junior setter Kierstin Kiser (Clarion, PA/Clarion) picked up her first double-double of the season by dishing out 24 assists and recording 10 digs versus Long Island