Click Here For PDF File
• Sophomore Dana Parziale (Pinehurst, NC/Pinecrest) won a pair of matches at the UConn Invitational, beating opponents from Hartford and Quinnipiac. He also teamed with Richard Sipala (Quogue, NY/The Ross School) for a pair of 8-2 victories at the event.
• Freshman Juan Gonzalez-Paz (San Juan, Puerto Rico / Colegio San Ignacio) went 2-0 at UConn and also took fifth at the Brown Invitational a week earlier.
• Junior Yuri Gricheno (Sao Paolo, Brazil/Colegio Amorim) was tabbed NEC Player of the Month after posting a 7-2 singles record and 4-2 doubles mark with partner Marco Jemersic (Zagreb, Croatia/X Gimnazija Ivan Supek). The first team All-NEC performer captured the Flight F title at the USTA Invitational last weekend, dispatching opponents from Army, Marist and Fairfield before claiming the championship with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Columbia’s Theodore Martin.
• In his first action, freshman Arvis Berzins (Adazi, Latvia/ Riga Centre Language School) made it to the Flight A semifinals at the Princeton Invitational with wins over Yale and Penn State. He is 4-3 in his young career.
• The Knights opened up dual meet play with a 5-2 win over Hofstra on September 21.
• Freshman Francis Jedlinski (Manalapan, NJ/Freehold Township) won the first six matches of his Monmouth career, defeating opponents from Villanova, Rider, The College of New Jersey, Franklin & Marshall and Swarthmore. He also went 4-2 in doubles to finish September with a 10-3 combined mark.
• The Hawks’ four freshmen put together a solid showing in their debuts, collectively posting an 18-9 singles record. Jedlinski and Freddy Marcinkowski (Sparta, NJ/Sparta) each went 6-1 in September, competing in the New Jersey, Villanova and St. Joseph’s Fall Invitationals.
MOUNT ST. MARY’S
• Junior Mike Salamon (Haymarket, VA/Seaton) is 7-2 on the young season. He won the back draw at the Bucknell Invitational and is 6-1 record in tourney play thus far. Salamon has also teamed with freshman Adam Salam (Wallingford, Pa./Strath Haven) to post a 3-2 doubles mark.
• Freshman Patrick McGinley (Coatesville, PA/Coatesville) provided the Mount’s lone win in a setback to UDC on September 13th and also posted a straight set victory in a 5-2 dual meet conquest of Shepherd on the 20th.
• For the month, the Bobcats were a 29-13 with a 12-6 showing at the Fairfield Doubles Festival and a 17-7 record at the UConn Invitational. The doubles team of Micah Bailey (Miami, FL/South Miami Senior) and J.C. Petrini (Stamford, CT) reached the Flight C final at Fairfield and were a combined 6-1 in the two tournaments in doubles play.
• Bailey, Petrini, Andrew Weeden (Martinsville, NJ/Bridgewater Raritan), Corey Morgenstern (Old Bethpage, NY/Plainview-Old Bethpage John F. Kennedy) and Ben Shapiro (Katonah, NY/The Harvey School) were all 2-0 in singles play at the UConn event.
• Robert Morris opened its 2011-12 campaign with a 5-1 victory over Mercyhurst on September 4th. The Colonials earned victories at the #2 through #6 singles flights to earn the win as weather forced the cancellation of doubles play.
• RMU has three more dual matches on the fall slate, beginning today with a home match against Allegheny, and will also take part in the Mount St. Mary’s Invitational on October 1-2.
• Defending NEC champion Sacred Heart has played in a pair of tournaments this fall, competing in the Fairfield Doubles Tournament and the UConn Invitational this past weekend.
• Senior Chadd Sullo (Orange, CT/Amity), a second team All-NEC performer last season, went 1-1 in singles competition at UConn.
ST. FRANCIS (NY)
• The Terriers (1-1) defeated NEC rival Wagner, 4-3, on Monday to pick up their first dual meet win of the season.
• Junior Tita Mba (Silver Spring, MD/Mevick Bilingiual), senior Daniel Gonzalez (Caracas, Venezuela/Institutos Educacionals Asociados) and junior Martin Grunin (Brooklyn, NY/St. Edmund Prep) each posted singles victories for St. Francis.
SAINT FRANCIS (PA)
• Freshman Sergio Carvajal (Nueva Esparta, Venezuela/U.E. Fray Elias Maria Sendra) is off to a terrific start. He claimed the NEC Rookie of the Month award after advancing to the Flight B final at the Bucknell Invitational. He also teamed with junior Andres Rosa (Carolina, Puerto Rico/Colegio la Piedad) to capture the Flight A back draw doubles crown.
• The Red Flash also competed at the USTA Invitational in Flushing Meadows, NY. Carvajal reached the Flight H West back draw final.
• Sophomore Danil Ovechkin (Staten Island, NY / Pendleton School (FL)) led Wagner (0-3) over the first month of play, finishing with a 4-2 record. He picked up a league win in a 4-3 setback to St. Francis (NY) on Monday.
• The match against the Terriers was a marathon, lasting five hours and 20 minutes.