Click Here For PDF File
• Sophomore May Vickers (Montrose, CO/Montrose) posted a 3-1 record and advanced to the semifinals at the Stony Brook Invitational. She defeated rivals from Albany, Sacred Heart and Seton Hall. She also split a pair of singles matches at Stony Brook Classic.
• Freshman Devlin-Ann Amendola (Massapequa, NY/Farmingdale) went 2-2 at the Army Invitational this past weekend and teamed with Vickers to go 1-1 at the Stony Brook Invitational.
• Senior Julia Prantl (Benediktbeuern, Germany/GUS-Gymnasium Bad Tolz) walked away with NEC Player of the Month accolades by posting a 6-2 singles record, highlighted by a run to the finals in the B Flight at the Stony Brook Classic. In the mid-September event, she scored wins against Army, Rhode Island and Stony Brook before falling in title match to Army’s Della Taylor. One week later, Prantl posted a 3-1 mark at the Eastern Championships to advance to the Flight A semifinals.
• Senior Elmine Botes (Heidelberg Gauteng, Rep. of South Africa/Hoer Volkskool and British International Distance College) reached the Flight A consolation bracket final at Stony Brook, while sophomore Manuela Leme (Varginha, Brazil / E.E. Antania Alves Cruz) win in the flight D consolation round captured the Flight D consolation round title at Easterns.
• The Blackbirds took part in a pair of tournaments to open the fall season. Long Island headed north to participate in the Havard Fall Classic and also appeared in the Eastern Championships, hosted by Army.
• Sophomore newcomer Lisa Maas (Nordeu, Germany/Middle Tennessee State Univ.) went 5-2 in singles matches. She won the DUTY consolation bracket at the Eastern Championships with wins over Seton Hall, Bowdoin and Quinnipiac. Junior Taysha Blessington (Sydney, Australia/Roseville College) also had a strong month, going 3-2 in singles play.
• The Hawks have dropped three dual matches to begin fall play, falling to Manhattan (5-2), Saint Peter’s (6-1) and Loyola (MD) (7-0).
• Junior Dana Ferrari (Saddle Brook, NJ/Immaculate Heart) is 2-1 on the year with straight set wins against the Jaspers and Peahens.
MOUNT ST. MARY’S
• Junior Renee Deane (Cape Coral, FL/Cape Coral) is off to a 4-1 start in singles play this season, including a marathon 7-6, 3-6, 10-8 win over Bucknell’s Jen Bush at the Bucknell Invitational. She is also 3-2 in doubles, tied for the most doubles wins on the Mount.
• Deane and classmate Carly Landini (Newark, DE/Archmere Academy) won the Flight A Doubles back draw at the Bucknell Invitational.
• Freshman Jacqueline Raynor (Garden City, NY/Garden City) was named NEC Rookie of the Month after she posted a 13-2 record in singles and doubles over the first month of the season. At the Quinnipiac Invitational, the Garden City product won two-of-three matches to advance to the B Flight singles final before falling to teammate Sarah Viebrock (Carmel, NY/John F. Kennedy Catholic).
• Reigning NEC champion Quinnipiac posted a perfect 15-0 record at the Fairfield Doubles Festival with Juliet Labarth (Oklahoma City, OK/Heritage Hall) and Viebrock winning the A Flight, freshman Michelle Dassa (Marlboro, N.J.) and Raynor capturing the B Flight and Rachel Cantor (Short Hills, NJ/Millburn) and freshman Ariana Launie (Milton, MA/Milton) taking the C Flight.
• Robert Morris was slated to open its 2011-12 campaign with a home match against Mercyhurst on September 4th, but rain caused the match to be stopped before completion. The Colonials suffered a 5-2 setback at home against Slippery Rock on September 22.
* RMU has three more dual matches on the fall slate, beginning this afternoon with a visit from Allegheny.
• Sophomore Gabi Kaldan (New Brunswick, NJ/New Brunswick) advanced to the Flight A semifinals at the Quinnipiac Invitational and the Flight A quarterfinals at the this past weekend’s Eastern Invitational.
• Senior Kristin Legenza (Berlin, CT/Berlin) reached the Flight D semifinals at Quinnipiac, while freshman Nicole Rydzewski (Maspeth, NY/St. Francis Prep) won the Flight C consolation bracket at Easterns.
ST. FRANCIS (NY)
• St. Francis (NY) opens its fall slate against league and local rival Wagner on Wednesday in Staten Island. The Terriers will next return to the courts on October 14th at the USTA National Tennis Center against Manhattan.
SAINT FRANCIS (PA)
• Freshman Lucy Jasso (San Luis Potosi, Mexico/Instituto Potosino) made a run to the Flight A singles title match at the Bucknell Invitational where she fell to Loyola’s Rachel Janasek. She finished 2-1 at the event.
• Freshman Nuria Valls (Durango, Mexico/Colegio Guadiana LaSalle) won the flight “B” back draw singles title at Bucknell.
• Wagner (0-1) dropped its first match of the fall to La Salle on September 17th before being rained out against Holy Cross.
• The Seahawks return to action on Wednesday with a home match against St. Francis (NY).