Men’s Team-by-Team Notes
- Senior Spencer Sweitzer (Lunenburg, MA) was the only golfer in the field to finish under par, winning Saturday's Hurricane Fusillade Challenge with a one-under 143 in Louisburg, N.C., to kick off the team's 2012 season. Sweitzer recorded the tournament's best round with a first-round 69 (-3).
- The Bulldogs carded a 602 as a team on the day, finishing just one stroke behind eventual winner Louisburg College, to take second overall in the four-team field. Bryant saw its best round come in the early loop with a 299.
- A trio of Bulldogs finished in the top 10. Samuel Russell (Southampton, MA/Saint John’s) placed sixth totaling a 150 (+6) for the day, Brendan Allen (Chelmsford, MA/Chelmsford) earned a tie for seventh with a two-round score of 154 (+10) and Grant Certuse (Mansfield, MA/Mansfield) finished knotted at 10th overall, improving in the second round by three strokes (155).
-The Blue Devils kick off their spring season March 22 at the Barona Collegiate Cup in San Diego, CA.
-At the Benbow Invitational, the Knights shot with a 306 on day one and a 305 in the second round for a total 611 and 12th place.
-At the Bulldog Invitational, Thomas Barnes paced the Knights with a two-day total of 148 with scores of 70 and 78. Barnes tied for fifth place among the participants
-The Blackbirds' combined score of 296 on day one of the Homewood Suites Siena Invitational was the squad's best so far in the 2011-12 season.
-England native Obe Ayton (Liphook, England/Godalming Col.) finished tied for second at the Homewood Suite Siena Invitational after falling in a playoff. His scores helped the Blackbirds to a second place team finish.
- Freshman Rhys Jones (Pwllheli, Wales/Meirion-Dwyfor Col.) earned his first top-ten finish of his collegiate career at Siena, finishing tied for ninth.
-Begin spring competition March 25 at La Salle Invitational in Ambler, PA.
Mount Saint Mary’s
- The Mount St. Mary's men's golf team opened the spring slate with an eighth-place standing (913) at the Gary Freeman B-CU Invitational on Feb. 29 and placed fifth at the Lonnie Barton Invitational (642) on Mar. 6.
- Sophomore Kevin Ellison (Harrisburg, PA/Bishop McDevitt) paced the Mount at the Gary Freeman B-CU Invitational with a 20th-place finish (227) while senior Danny Michalek (Mount Airy, MD/Mount St. Joseph) was the squad's top team finisher at the Lonnie Barton Invitational with a 12th-place standing (158). Sophomore Tonny Aizpun (Barcelona, Spain/Lycee Francais De Barcelone) was the squad's top finisher at Lonnie Barton with a fifth-place finish (153) as an individual.
-Robert Morris finished 4th at the Lonnie Barton Invitational to open up the spring season.
-Junior Brock Pompeani (Aliquippa, PA/Hopewell) took home top individual honors for the Colonials as he finished third overall, carding scores of 78 and 73 to finish with a 151.
-The Colonials shaved 18 points off their first round score to finish with a team score of 630.
-At the season opening event, the Lonnie Barton Invitational, SHU led after day one, shooting a team score of 309. On day two, the Pioneers carded a 308 but High Point shot a 292 to win the event with a two-day score of 605.
-Two Pioneers finished in the top-10 in the field of 40 golfers in senior Leopoldo Garcia (Guaynabo, Puerto Rico/Colegio Marista) and junior Josh Salah (Gloucester, MA/Gloucester). Garcia finished second shooting a 75 on day one and a 73 on day two. Salah finished fourth with a two-day total 152 (77-75).
St. Francis (NY)
-The St. Francis College men's golf team kicked-off their spring season in Bethany Beach, Delaware as they participated in the 2012 George Washington University Intercollegiate Invitational at Bear Trap Dunes Golf Club.
-The Terriers finished tied with Niagara University for eleventh place, shooting a total of 978. The University of Pennsylvania Quakers took home the championship for the second straight year, finishing the tournament 866.
-Leading the way for the Terriers in the two-day tournament was sophomore Steven Stuto (Staten Island, NY/Michael J. Petrides), who placed 48th, finishing the tournament with a 237 (83-75-79). Senior David Smith placed 56th with a 243 while junior Zachary Chyz (Las Vegas, NV/Centennial) was two strokes back at 245.
Saint Francis (PA)
-The Red Flash will begin their spring season on March 25 at the C&F Bank Invitational in Williamsburg, VA.
-The Wagner men kick off their spring season this weekend at the LaSalle Invitational.
Women’s Team-by-Team Notes
- The Blue Devils finished 14th at the C&F Bank Invite with a score of 991 (338/320/333/991).
- Central placed ahead of all Northeast Conference schools in competition.
-Junior Anna Ausanio (Hopewell Junction, NY/John Jay) led the Blue Devils in the individual field finishing tied for 25th. She shot a season low round score of 73 on the second day.
-The Knights competed at two Butler hosted tournaments in Jacksonville, FL over Spring Break. The women's team finished 10th and 4th in the tournaments.
-Mariana Juaristi (Irapuato, Guanajuato/Prepa Tec) led the team with scores of 82 and 75 for a total 157 in the Bulldog Invitational. Juaristi lead the team at the Benbow Invitational as well with an 83 and a 73, for a total 156.
- Freshman Cristina Felip (Barcelona, Spain/IES Joaquim Blume) took the top spot at the Blackbird hosted Lonnie Barton Invitational to help the team to a top spot overall carding rounds of 78 and 77.
-Senior Anna Palsson (Stockholm, Sweden/Ostra Real) and freshman Brianna Maynard (Auckland, NZ/Rosehill Col.) were both in the top ten at Lonnie Barton, with Palsson in fifth and Maynard in seventh.
-The Hawkscompeted at the C&F Bank Invitational in Williamsburg, VA where they finished 16th. Michelle Rosenhouse (Dix Hills, NY/Half Hallow Hills) led the way for the Hawks carding a score of 245.
Mount Saint Mary’s
- The Mount has played in three events this spring, finishing seventh at the Gary Freeman B-CU Invitational on Feb. 29, fourth at the Lonnie Barton Invitational on Mar. 6 and 19th at the C&F Bank Invitational on Tuesday.
- Freshman Jen Kim (Blue Bell, Pa./Methacton) paced the Mount with a 24th-place (179) finish at Gary Freeman B-CU Invitational. Senior Christina Hall (Wall, N.J./Wall) and Kelsey Hayward (Seekonk, Mass./St. Mary's Academy) finished tied for 12th at the Lonnie Barton Invitational (168) and Hayward was the squad's top finisher at the C&F Bank Invitational (238).
The Bobcats competed at the C&F Bank Invitational and were led by Kayla Ketcheson (St. Andrews, Manitoba/Northwood University) who booked a score of 251 at the three day event.
-The Colonials competed at the Lonnie Barton Invitational where they finished 5th as a team.
-Elizabeth Wenger (Toledo, OH/Whitmer) was the top individual finisher for Robert Morris. The senior booked a 169 and finished in a tie for 14th.
-In the season opener, the Lonnie Barton Invitational, the Pioneers were in second place after day one's 333, trailing the host LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds by six strokes. LIU held on for the win with a second day score of 320, holding off the Pioneers who shot a 326 for two day score of 659.
-Seniors Gabriella Riber (Stockholm, Sweden/Danderyds Gymnasium) and Carly Bergin (Binghamton, NY/Chenango Valley) finished second and third respectively. Riber shot a 76 on day one and finished with a two day total of 157, two strokes off the winning score posted by LIU's Cristina Santamaria. Bergin was one stroke back, carding an 81 on Monday and a 77 on Tuesday.
-The Pioneers took 15th in 21 team field at the three round C&F Bank Intercollegiate in Williamsburg, VA. Bergin was the Pioneers top finisher shooting a three round score of 239 (80-80-79) to come in tied for 43rd overall.
St. Francis (NY)
-The St. Francis College women's golf team concluded their first tournament of the spring season at the 2012 Monterey Bay Invitational held at the Del Monte Golf Club. The ladies finished the tournament in 14th place shooting a total 1169 over the three-day event. Wichita State University earned first place 927
-For the Terriers, their first three golfers were all within one-stroke of each other, led by freshman Danielle Hodge (Rainbow City, AL/Gadsden City) carding 286 (92-103-91). Senior Carla Biggs (Montgomery, NY/Valley Central) shot 287 (103-92-92) and Rebecca Kerry (Bend, Oregon/Summit) finished up with a 288 (94-102-92)
Saint Francis (PA)
-Freshman Mallory Cortis (Chambersburg, PA/Chambersburg Area) earned her best collegiate finish to date with a solo hold onto fourth place after firing a two-day score of 160 (77-83) at the Lonnie Barton Invitational
-Saint Francis improved its overall collective team score from round-to-round by at least 10 strokes each day (356-344-334) at the C&F Bank Invitational
-The Wagner women wait until March 31st to resume play at the Monmouth Invitational.